Mr. Shyam Singh Shashi and Miss Richa Singh are two important Indian scholars who are studying Romani culture in India. They are the leaders of the Research Foundation, a UN-recognized academic NGO. The Foundation has its own building in Delhi, Shiksha Bhavan Rohini Sector 9. Mr Shyam Shashi is the President of the Research Foundation. He is the author of more than 400 books in English and Hindi. He has also written books on the Roma: Roma - the Gypsy world and Roma - Culture & Heritage. (source: Research Foundation Publication-UN Special Sabhyata Sanskrity April 2015 Page:3)
Official site of the Indian Foundation for Roma Research
The Research Foundation Institute of India is co-operating with the International Roma Cultural University WROR of Belgrade, Serbia. This Roma University has Mr. Ian Hancock from the University of Texas, USA as Vice-Chancellor. From the same Indian newspaper we find that Mr Shashi presented his Foundation and Roma University to President of India, Sh. Pranab Mukherji in Parliament in Delhi on 14 Nov. 2012.
"The International Research Foundation, in association with World Roma Organisation Rromanipen, of Belgrade, Republic of Serbia & Roma University has launched a one year Post-Graduate Diploma in Social Work including Human Rights & Education of Roma children (without any fee)."
The president of this "World Rroma Organisation" is Jovan Damjanović. .
Now, the principal question that comes into the minds of Roma is: What does all this mean?
*It means that certain power-hungry individuals want to be WORLD LEADERS of Roma. Look what *Bajram Haliti, Secretary General of the World Roma Organisation* said:
“I appeal to the Indian government to build a political consensus on the recognition of the Roma as a linguistic, historical and cultural minority and to demand from the United Nations that their authoritative organs raise at the General Assembly the question of the legal and political position ofthe Roma,” (https://thewire.in/21646/the-modi-government-and-rss-are-keen-to-claim-the-roma-as-indians-and-hindus/)
But not only Bajram Haliti is involved in this strange political struggle, other Romani NGO leaders are involved as well. For many years the European Union made enourmous efforts to help the Roma community. And the E.U. sent 50 billion euros to help the Roma. This money was not given to Roma, but to so-called Roma NGOs. The NGOs around the world squandered this money and other resources intended to improve the life of the Roma community.(http://www.liberation.fr/societe/2013/10/14/ou-sont-passes-les-50-milliards-pour-les-roms_938780)
Another online newspaper reveals to us some interesting objectives of India regarding the Roma: *The Indian Diaspora* ( feedback: email@example.com)
1. People to people contact between India and Romani people should be encouraged.
2. The cultural recognition of Romani people is of utmost importance for strengthening bonds with Roma
3. There is a need to set up a cell in the Ministry of External Affairs to study and research about origin of Roma people and examine what status can be accorded to the Roma people by India.
4. Roma around the world should be encouraged to increase their representation in parliamentary and legislative bodies of their respective countries.
5. The language of the Roma people should be researched in order to find their roots and heritage in India and Indian students in schools should be taught history of the Roma people and their migration.
6. Romani language should be taught in Indian school and universities as a recognized foreign language. Romani-Hindi dictionary be prepared by the HRD Ministry of the Govt. of India.
7. An International cultural festival of Roma should be held in India every two years on the pattern of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas. The first event can take place at Chittor Fort in Rajasthan.
8. A Roma Research Centre should be set up in India, preferably at NGO level and such NGO should get an observer status at the ROMNIPEN and work for skill and educational development of Romani community.
9. For economic upliftment of Romani people, appropriate national and international agencies should make provisions for providing micro finance facility to young Roma entrepreneurs.
10. Economic relations between India and Romani people should be encouraged. Romani people should be invited to contribute and be a part of India’s development process in a mutually beneficial manner.
11. Human rights organisations of India should take up the issues of violation of human rights of Romani people with all national and international agencies.
The Indian Diaspora ( feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org)
After reading these interesting "recommendations", we see that:
Point 8 is already fulfilled by The Research Foundation Institute.
Point 6 is strange, because we don't understand why the Romani language must be taught in India, when the Roma people are not present in India. The most intriguing point of the declaration above is the researching of Romani language by Indian linguists "in order to find their roots and heritage in India". Let's go deeper. If my mother dies, I am the legal inheritor of her house and land. Now, the land is called Bhaarat or India. It's simple, we are called back to India.
Point 3 is saying the same thing, India will give the Roma a status. Maybe citizens, maybe diaspora.
Now, the Indian Government doesn't know that there are 2 million Roma living in Romania ? At the conference held in Azad Bhavan, there were no Romanian Roma, just a Romanian professor, Gheorghe Sarau. Who is he to speak in place of 2 million Roma?
It seems that these events are being driven by Serbian Roma leaders. The Romanian Roma don't know them, have never heard their names. WE DON'T ACCEPT THE SERBIAN LEADERS AS OUR LEADERS.
*How can the Roma be part of India's development without being INSIDE India?*
I think that India will be cheated because points 8 and 9 are telling us that in order to improve the life of Roma : *"**Romani people should be invited to contribute and be a part of India’s development process in a mutually beneficial manner." Any money that India sends for the Roma will again be in the hands of NGO leaders...*
*Hindutva-The Hindu religion *
"So is the Modi Government responding to the Roma's long-held plea for recognition of their Indian origin only because of their Hindu roots? ARSP Secretary General Keshav Govind Parande and ICCR President Lokesh Chandra agree there’s the possibility of adding 20 million Roma to the Hindu fold through measures like granting People of Indian Origin (PIO) status to them but say it is wrong to see the issue only from the Hindutva angle.Says Chandra, “There has been enough historical evidence to prove the Indian origin of the Roma. Municipal records in many European countries as old as the 10th century mention their country of origin. For centuries, the Romas had carried the art of steelware of ancient India through classical Europe. They have been the steel smiths of Europe besides singers, dancers and fortune tellers. *So there is nothing Hindutva there. The governmentshouldn’t be questioned about it.”* (https://thewire.in/21646/the-modi-government-and-rss-are-keen-to-claim-the-roma-as-indians-and-hindus/)
*Lokesh Chandra says that because the Roma are blacksmiths, the untouchability, a serious problem of India, is not involved here. LokeshChandra doesn't accept any questions about the social status of Romaancestors. Lokesh Chandra is wrong in thinking that 20 million Roma can beadded to the Hindu fold... the Roma are now Christians and Muslims. I am convinced that the Muslim Roma will remain in Serbia, because Angela Merkel loves Muslims, while the Christian Roma will be added to the Hindu fold...*
There is however this small problem: in India there are still about 300 million Gypsies classified as Dalits...http://idsn.org/india-official-dalit-population-exceeds-200-million/
*Reintegration into India*
"Eight of the 18 Indian scholars who spoke at the conference were office bearers of the ARSP. All of them underlined the Hindu origin of the community and therefore the need to “reintegrate them to Bharat.” (https://thewire.in/21646/the-modi-government-and-rss-are-keen-to-claim-the-roma-as-indians-and-hindus/)
*I love India, but I want to know the truth... I am waiting to hear the truth from the Government of India, because, as is written on the flag of India: Satyam Evam Jayate - Only the Truth Wins!*
* Vande Mataram! Jai Hind! Hindustan Zindabad! Long live India!*
Translated from Romanian language by Natalie Winter, native speaker of Kalo. Naisarau tuke Bibie!